The American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials is seeking a college junior, graduating senior, or graduate student for a paid summer writing internship in its Communications Division in Washington.
Write for an array of outlets including:
• AASHTO Journal (online transportation newsweekly);
• Transportation TV News Update (weekly online video newscast);
• Marketing Transportation E-News (monthly online newsbrief);
• AASHTO’s website, www.transportation.org; and
• Other publications about critical issues in the transportation public-policy realm.
• Must be skilled in news reporting, research, and journalistic writing for articles, press releases, and policy reports (experience writing video scripts, marketing materials, and/or Web content a plus);
• Undergraduate or graduate studies in journalism, communications, public relations, or marketing (experience writing for a student newspaper and/or previous professional internships in a related field a plus);
• Knowledge of federal legislative process essential (experience with and/or interest in surface transportation issues and/or state governments a plus); and
• Ability to work full time for 10-12 weeks between mid-May and mid-August.
AASHTO is the “Voice of Transportation” representing state transportation departments in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico. AASHTO is a nonprofit, nonpartisan association serving as a catalyst for excellence in transportation. Our office is located on the north side of Capitol Hill near Union Station.
Applicants should send a cover letter outlining their qualifications and their interest in the internship, resume, college transcript, and a dozen writing samples to Lucas Wall, Senior Editor, AASHTO Journal, Suite 249, 444 N. Capitol St., Washington, DC 20001-1539. E-mail submissions should be directed to email@example.com. The application deadline is Friday, April 23, 2010.