The Daily Climate is hiring a Climate Science Writer.
This position is full-time, benefits-eligible with a leading nonprofit journalism organization. The Daily Climate is one of two online news publications of Environmental Health Sciences. The Daily Climate, its sister publication Environmental Health News and EHS operate as fiscally-sponsored arms of Virginia Organizing, a Charlottesville, Va.-based nonprofit.
The position reports to Daily Climate Editor Douglas Fischer, and is funded by an annual, renewable grant.
- Several years experience in reporting in related fields
- Strong familiarity with/experience in climate science reporting
- Fluency with social media and multi-media tools
- Familiarity with all aspects of the climate beat: energy, environmental impact, politics, economics, history of climate science and climate journalism. Ability to connect the dots between climate science and these other aspects.
- Ability to prospect and pitch unique story ideas with fresh angles
- Skill in spot news, explanatory writing and investigative reporting
The Daily Climate functions as a remote workplace. Employees work from their homes, though this job will require travel for reporting. A 40-hour or more work week is the norm; flexibility in hours is essential. Stories will also be published on Environmental Health News, and EHN’s Editor-in-Chief will be heavily involved in story generation and editing.
While the position focuses on producing content for The Daily Climate and news outlets which re-publish our work, the employee will be expected to be familiar with and occasionally participate in the daily assembly and aggregation of The Daily Climate.
The following skills are not essential, but will enhance the prospects of job candidates:
Advanced degree(s) in journalism or related fields
Web design and Search Engine Optimization skills
The Daily Climate is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status.
Benefits: Comprehensive health plan; three weeks annual vacation; Provision of essential hardware and software
Apply with resumé and supporting materials to Publisher Peter Dykstra at firstname.lastname@example.org