Skip to main content
WVU has extended alternative delivery of classes through the end of the semester. Visit for the latest updates and view a message from President Gee at

FAQs - Frequently Asked Questions


What are the requirements for admission to the WVU Reed College of Media?

What courses should I take in high school to prepare me for the College of Media?

Students who wish to pursue major in the College of Media should complete a well-rounded high school curriculum. The College curriculum requires a strong background in English and writing. Some students choose to take Advanced Placement English in high school, which not only prepares them for college but also may help reduce their required course load upon entering WVU. Students also should consider taking a foreign language in high school, as College of Media students are required to have two semesters of foreign language. Students are encouraged to get involved in high school media, such as the school newspaper, radio, TV broadcast or yearbook, and speech and debate. Admission information is available on the College of Media Admissions page. Students can find additional undergraduate admission information on the WVU admissions page. Questions about undergraduate admission should be directed to Whitney Godwin at (304) 293-5735 or
I took AP courses in high school. How do those credits transfer to WVU?

Students who received a 3 or higher on Advanced Placement exams should request that The College Board release those scores to the WVU Office of Admissions. Students should consult the advanced credit equivalency website for additional information.
Is the College of Media accredited?

The Accrediting Council on Education in Journalism and Mass Communications (ACEJMC) fully accredits the College of Media and its undergraduate programs: advertising, journalism, public relations, and strategic communications. Only approximately 125 colleges and universities with journalism or communications programs have earned ACEJMC approval. The College is also a member of the Association of Schools of Journalism and Mass Communications.


Who is my College of Media advisor and how do I make an appointment to see him/her?

In the WVU Reed College of Media, all student advising is handled by the College’s in-house Advising Center. Professional staff who are trained on program requirements, curriculum changes and graduation standards are available to guide students throughout their academic experience. Students can confirm their advisor in DegreeWorks, which can be accessed through their MIX account. New students are notified via MIX email regarding their assigned advisor and registration time frames. During pre-registration advising time each semester, students must sign up for an advising appointment to have their registration hold removed. Students can schedule with their advisor anytime through our online scheduler
What do I do if a class is full?

Students who experience difficulty registering for a College of Media course should complete and submit the Course Registration Permit Request. If a class is full and it is a non-College of Media class, students will need to see the advising center in that department. If a College of Media course is full, students will need to contact their College of Media advisor.
How many credits can I take each term?

The maximum number of credit hours allowed is 19 during the fall/spring term and 14 during the summer term. Students who wish to exceed these credit limits must see their advisor to request a course overload petition. Typically, course overloads are only permitted in exceptional cases and should be justified. Students may have a lower credit maximum based on a variety of other factors and attributes (e.g. first-time freshman, probationary student).
How do I keep track of my degree requirements?

DegreeWorks is the online advising and degree auditing tool at WVU. All undergraduate students should have a completed audit for graduation. Students can access DegreeWorks through the WVU Portal. Please refer to this system regularly. More information is available at While DegreeWorks is the University’s official degree auditing tool, it is not the final determinant for degree clearance. All degree requirements must be verified by the student's college or school prior to graduation. Students are responsible for complying with all academic policies published in the University catalog. If students have any questions about the information presented in this audit, they are encouraged to contact their advisor.
What majors does the College of Media offer?

How do I change my major and/or minor?

Students should regularly consult DegreeWorks, the official, online advising and degree auditing tool at WVU. If the student’s declared major or minor listed in DegreeWorks is incorrect, students should complete the Major/Minor Update Form.
Can I major in one College of Media program and minor in another?

Students must choose a minor outside of the College. The College of Media offers two joint programs with other WVU colleges that are open to College of Media students: the Interactive Media Design minor (offered jointly with the College of Creative Arts) and the Sport Communication minor (offered jointly with the College of Physical Activity and Sport Science). Other popular minors include Business Administration, Political Science and Foreign Languages.
Can I “double major” in two College of Media programs?

Students may only choose one major within the College. The College offers a Bachelor of Science in Journalism,  Advertising / Public Relations majors earn a Bachelor of Science in Journalism (BSJ) degree, Bachelor of Art (BA) in Interactive Design for Media degree, as well as a Bachelor of Arts in Multidisciplinary Studies for MDS majors. Students who wish to pursue a secondary degree must choose one of the majors offered by another WVU college.
Can I “double major” with one program from the College of Media and a major from another college?

Yes. However, students are not merely “double majoring.” Rather, students are working toward a dual degree - essentially two college degrees. Therefore, students must meet requirements for two separate colleges. Students must complete a minimum of 150 and fulfill all degree requirements for both colleges. Many students find it challenging to complete such a rigorous program in four years. To learn more about dual degree opportunities, students should contact their advisor.
What is the minimum GPA to remain a College of Media major?

Undergraduate students must maintain a 2.0 overall GPA and earn at least a “C” grade in all major courses. Students who do not meet the minimum 2.0 GPA requirement will be placed on academic probation. The GPA requirement for minors vary by the specific minor program and are specified on the department’s website. Students should consult DegreeWorks or their advisor with questions. To help ensure timely progression toward a WVU degree, if a student earns D/F/W grades for two consecutive semesters in at least one major or major pre-requisite course, even if the student's overall GPA is 2.0 or greater, he or she must meet with the Assistant and/or Associate Dean to assess progress toward graduation and the likelihood of success within his or her current major. If, after consultation with the student, it is deemed that the major is not the right academic program, the student will be referred to the Center for Learning, Advising and Student Success to explore other possible majors. If the student wants to continue within the College of Media against the respective Dean's recommendations, a contract of academic progress will be developed to outline the parameters necessary for the student to continue College of Media studies. These parameters might include attending tutoring sessions as well as earning adequate grades the following semester to continue his or her academic progress. If the stipulations set forth in the contract are not satisfied, the student will be referred to the Center for Learning, Advising and Student Success to pursue an alternative major.
What are the requirements for enrolling in JRL 215?

Journalism 215 is restricted to College of Media students. Non-major students with at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA may enroll in JRL 215 if space permits after students in College of Media majors have received their registration priority. Major courses are restricted to College of Media majors, with priority given to those students pursuing that specific area of study.
What is the average class size at the College of Media?

The interaction between faculty and students is of the utmost importance to the College, so classes are deliberately kept small and intimate. All College of Media skills-based courses have no more than 20 students, and most College upper-division major courses have no more than 30-40 students.

How do I transfer credit from another University to WVU?

If you are a current WVU student who wants to take credits at another regionally-accredited institution, the first step is to see your academic adviser to get permission to begin the process. Once you know what courses you want to take, you and your adviser can access the transfer credit database to determine the available transient credit courses. Any courses not found in this database, may be requested to be added via the Transfer Equivalency Review Request (TERR). For more details, see the Transient Credit Approval Process.
If you are considering transferring to WVU, the Transfer Equivalency Self Service (TESS) system allows you to see how credit from other institutions will transfer, and how that credit will apply to your degree at WVU. Whether you are thinking about applying, or have already been accepted, the system is designed to make the transfer process easier and more transparent. In all cases, the application of transfer credit toward completion of a bachelor’s degree is determined by the school or college upon enrollment. The student's academic department will determine which credits will be used to meet degree requirements. Transcripts for coursework taken at other institutions should be mailed directly to the WVU Office of Admissions, P.O. Box 6009, Morgantown, WV 26505. If students have questions about how previous coursework has transferred to WVU, they should contact their advisor.
Full details about transferring coursework can be found at
Can my parents speak to my advisor or professors about my grades or other student records information?

Students at West Virginia University benefit from the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974. This Act, with which West Virginia University intends to comply fully, was designed to protect the privacy of education records, to establish the right of students to inspect and review their education records, and to provide guidelines for the correction of inaccurate or misleading data through informal and formal hearings. University officials, including advisors and professors, do not disclose confidential academic information without written consent from students. In the event students would like to allow University officials to discuss this information with a third party, students must complete the one-time FERPA release. A more detailed explanation of rights afforded to students by FERPA can be found at:
How do I order a transcript?

Transcripts can be ordered through the Office of the University Registrar.
How do I apply for graduation?

Applications should be completed during the term in which the student expects to graduate. Early applications for future academic terms will not be accepted. Application deadlines will be communicated to students via the College of Media website, WVU Reed College of Media eNews and email throughout each semester.

Career Development/Internships

How do I get information about internships?

Students should contact the College’s Director of Student Careers and Opportunities at or (304) 293-6117 to learn more about specific internship programs, on-campus interviews, resume/interviewing workshops and career planning. In addition, the College of Media weekly Opportunity Alerts email lists numerous internship opportunities.
Am I eligible to receive credit for my internship?

For every credit hour earned, students must complete at least 35 work hours during the supervised internship experience. Students cannot receive credit retroactively.

Your options for earning credit are:

  • JRL 441 (Internship) An experience for 3 credits. Requires 105 hours worked (and documented by your supervisor). Pass/Fail.
  • JRL 442 (Practicum) An experience for 1 or 2 credits. The 1 credit option requires 35 hours worked (and documented by your supervisor). The 2 credit option requires 70 hours worked (and documented by your supervisor). Pass/Fail.
How do I enroll for internship/practicum credit?

Students who elect to do an internship for credit must contact the Director of Student Careers and Opportunities at or (304) 293-6117 to complete an Internship/Practicum Contract and receive registration permission for JRL 441/442. Students should provide any relevant materials describing the proposed internship. If the Director deems the internship eligible for course credit, he will provide registration approval for JRL 441 or 442. Internships are graded on a pass/fail basis.
What is required for internship/practicum credit?

Students should contact the Director of Student Careers and Opportunities at or (304) 293-6117 for the course syllabus and internship/practicum contract. Students must complete an internship/practicum contract, which is an agreement between the College of Media, the site supervisor, and the student. The contract outlines the parameters of the intern’s work experience. After completion of the contract, students will receive additional correspondence with all course requirements and deadlines. Students must submit weekly time sheets and reflective journals, a final reflection paper, and student and employer evaluations. The Director of Student Careers and Opportunities can provide additional details on the course requirements.
Do I have to pay tuition for internship credit?

The internship/practicum courses work like any other course offered by WVU and therefore incur tuition charges. The hours earned for internship credit are degree applicable and appear on the WVU transcript, so students must pay for these credit hours. During the summer, tuition and fees are billed on a per credit hour basis. Students who are wondering if it would be advantageous to register for the internship/practicum course should consult their advisor.
Where have College of Media graduates gone on to work?

College of Media graduates are top executives at national advertising and public relations firms and editors and reporters at the nation’s leading newspapers and broadcast stations. Journalism graduates work at the Philadelphia Inquirer, New York Times, Washington Post, USA Today, ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox News, CNN and regional and local affiliates/media entities throughout the country. Advertising and public relations graduates work at regional and national firms, including DDB, GolinHarris and Ketchum, or own their own successful firms.

Financial Aid/Scholarships

How do I apply for College of Media scholarships?

In addition to financial aid from West Virginia University, the College of Media offers a number of scholarships each year to eligible students. Students with a 3.0 or better cumulative GPA may apply during the spring selection period. All students applying for scholarships must file a FAFSA form by March 1, even if they are not eligible for need-based aid. Awards are generally based on academic performance and/or financial need and are restricted to College of Media students. Each spring, current students are notified via WVU Reed College of Media eNews about the application process and deadlines. To learn more about the scholarship process and other available scholarships, students should contact their advisor.

Student Life

I want to participate in College of Media clubs and organizations. What types of activities are available during my first year?

There are a variety of College organizations available to students, including Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ), the Martin-Hall Agency, Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA), Radio Television Digital News Association (RTDNA), WVU Association of Black Journalists, Ad Club and Ed on Campus: All Things Magazine. Meeting times are announced in WVU Reed College of Media eNews. See the Student Resources area of the website for more information about student organizations.


Do I need a computer and which kind is recommended?

The College of Media requires its entering freshmen and transfer students to have their own laptops for use in classes and on projects. This ensures students can meet the growing need for digital skills in the communication professions and for our students’ need for continuous access to software for individual and collaborative work. The College is a Mac-based environment, but students may also use PC (Windows) laptops, as long as they have the minimum specifications, which are noted on the Laptop Requirement page for both operating systems.
What software will I need?

The newest version of Microsoft Office (recommended) can be purchased online for substantial savings. Other software may be recommended as students progress through their major area of study.