American Advertising Awards (WV Chapter of American Advertising Federation)
- Gold ADDY: Martin Hall Agency “Don’t Box Me In” First Amendment Day Campaign
- Silver ADDY: Martin Hall Agency ”Don’t Box Me In” cross-platform Campaign
- Silver ADDY: Martin Hall Agency “Don’t Box Me In” T-shirt design
- Silver ADDY: Martin Hall Agency MHA logo, watermark, insignia and brand guideline
- Best Newscast, Gold Award: WVU News "Inside Appalachia-A Story of Hope"
Broadcast Education Association Festival of Media Arts
- Interactive Reality, First place: “The Bodice Project" by Kristen Uppercue, Mark
Schoenster and Savannah Schaffer
- Television Newscast, First place: WVU News Special Edition “A Mental Health Crisis
in America" by Jensen Mills
- Television Sports Story/Feature Short, Award of Excellence: “West Virginia Roughriders”
by Matt Minard
Carnegie-Knight News21 Program
Maxwell Shavers (BSJ, 2020), current Digital Marketing Communications graduate student,
was selected for the Carnegie-Knight News21 Program, a nationwide reporting project
headquartered at Arizona State University’s Walter Cronkite School of Journalism
and Mass Communication that brings student journalists from around the country
together to report and produce in-depth, multimedia projects for major media outlets.
Past outlets have included The Washington Post, NBC News and USA Today.
Hearst Journalism Awards
- Television Feature Award, Fifth Place: Bridge Day by Sarah Poteracki
National Eco Car Mobility Challenge Competition
- Best Social Media Report: Haleigh Fields
- Spirit of Communications: Haleigh Fields
- Video/Audio, TV Broadcast/Cable, Gold: WVU News Special Edition Newscast, "Far Apart Together"
RTDNA Edward R. Murrow Student Award
- Excellence in Audio Reporting: “What Happened to Weirton” podcast series by Ella
Society of Professional Journalists Mark of Excellence Awards
- Online In-Depth Reporting, Winner: “Rebuilding Families” by Anna Saab
- Television, Breaking News, Winner: “Campus Shooting” by Shayla Klein
- Collaborative Journalism, Finalist: “Generation Opioids”
- Newspapers, General News, Finalist: “Snow Day” by Daily Athenaeum staff
- Newspapers, Editorial Writing, Finalist: Douglas Soule, Daily Athemaeum Editor–in-Chief
- Collaborative Journalism, Winner: “Generation Opioids” by West Virginia University
and George Washington University
- Art/Graphics, Sports Photography, Finalist: “West Virginia vs. Iowa State” by Duncan
- Television, Feature Reporting, Winner: “Bridge Day” by Sarah Poteracki
- Television, In-Depth Reporting, Winner: “Inpatient care in the Mountain State"
by Sarah Poteracki
- Television, General News Reporting, Finalist: “Transgender discrimination in the
Mountain State” by Daren Hartwell
- Best Independent Online Student Publication, Winner: “Women Beyond Bars”
- Best Newscast, Silver Award: WVU News "Gun Control-A Nation Divided"
- Best Newscast, Bronze Award: WVU News "Inside Appalachia - A Story of Hope"
- Online Commercials, Silver Telly: Brand JRNY – Pineville ATV Spot
- Online Commercials, Bronze Telly: Brand JRNY – All Trails Lead to Home Spot
- Immersive and Mixed Reality, Bronze Telly: Bodice Project AR, David Smith’s Immersive
- Social Video, Bronze Telly: "Permit Loophole Allowing Appalachian Mines to Sit
Idle" by Sean McCallister
- Non-Broadcast General, Social Issues, Bronze Telly: 100 Days in Appalachia “Bienvenido
a Pupuseria Emerita” (with editing help from Jeffery Boggess)